Tuesday, July 24, 2012

What to pack: all about shoes


That's right, you knew it was coming. How could we name the blog E-shoe without a few words about our footwear selections? Well, we're going with two choices: some lightweight trail running shoes and a pair of flip-flops each. Here's the deal.

First, looking around, the consensus seems to be that boots are just too much weight to lug around with too little payoff. I'm sure we'll do some walking, but not enough mountainous hiking to warrant full-blown boots, and as with the sleeping bag, I'm sure we could find something locally if the need does arise.

So if not boots then what? Well, we both like sandals, so flip-flops sounded great: they're light, small, easy to replace and inconspicuous. I can easily walk around town in a good pair with little issue. We will do some longer hikes though, I'm sure, and it's nice to have some foot coverage in places where mosquitoes are a worry. Trail runners will cover us there.

What we went with in the end were a pair of New Balance for me and some Merrells for her. These are both dubbed "barefoot running shoes," a paradox in terminology that I am still reeling from. Still, at a mere 170 grams for his and 140 grams for hers, they're damn light. They also both have a Vibram sole to hopefully last up against the elements. Light, comfortable, rugged, and not too flashy. Coupled with a pair of Havianas for each of us, and we're good to go.

Of course, these aren't the only options; we did look at some others. I tried on a couple pairs of the toe shoes, but just wasn't feeling them. I do know a few people who love them, but even they admit it takes some getting used to.

Then, there's the backpacker's staple: the Teva. Now I'm sure they're damn comfortable, but to me they just scream "tourist." Anything I can do not to draw attention and become a target is good in my book.

Lastly, not to be overlooked are socks, your first line of defense against blisters. Ideally, you want something that will wick moisture and provide enough cushion. I've been wearing Thorlos now for years, so I'm set. Akemi picked up a few pairs of running socks made of wicking material as well. If you want something a bit thicker, many people like wool, nature's wicking material (Smartwool is a good alternative for those who are allergic). Another option is to just double up.

And there you have it! Keep your feet happy on the road—you'll certainly get enough use out of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment